-- BIG THANKS to Traeger Grills for sharing this recipe!
TASKS FOR CHILDREN
Ages 3 to 5: Shred lettuce Split slider buns for toasting
Ages 5 to 7: All tasks above Measure salt and pepper for burgers Brush burgers with oil
Ages 8 to 12: All tasks above Shape mixed beef into burgers (supervised) Garnish burgers with cooked onions, other condiments
Ages 13+: All tasks above Mix ground beef Turn on grill, set temp, monitor Cook burgers, toast buns
- 2 pounds ground chuck, preferably at least 20% fat
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- slices of cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Muenster cheese
- 12 to 16 slider rolls
- lettuce, shredded
- ketchup (optional)
- yellow mustard (optional)
- mayonnaise (optional)
- caramelized onions
- 3 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- pinch kosher salt
- To make the burger patties: Add 2 teaspoons of kosher salt per pound of meat, and 1/2 teaspoons of ground pepper per pound (if you prefer less salty food, reduce to 1 teaspoon per pound).
- Using your hands, gently mix the ground beef to incorporate the salt, making sure not to overwork it.
- Shape the beef into 2- to 3-ounce, thin burgers. Brush on both sides with a small amount of the remaining oil.
- When ready to cook, set your grill to high (450°F).
- Place the burgers on the grill, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes, then flipping and cooking an additional 2 to 3 minutes until you reach the desired doneness. If using cheese, add the cheese when the burgers are flipped.
- Take the sliders off the grill and allow them to rest for a few minutes to ensure the juices are evenly distributed.
- While burgers rest, add the buns to the grill and cook with the split side down for 1 to 2 minutes to toast them.
- Garnish burgers with the shredded lettuce, and other condiments.
Recipe adapted from our Beef Sliders recipe.