One cleaning tool I use every day is a sponge. To make it easier to hold, I cut them in two. Some people prefer to use a dishrag, but I like a sponge. Why?
- Quickly absorbs
- Wipes up messes
- Is reusable
- Is versatile
- is washable
Wipe the kitchen counter, wash a dish, scrub the fridge--I do it all with a sponge. However, sponges get dirty and can harbor germs and mold. Unlike a dishrag, which needs to washed in a washing machine, sponges can be conveniently washed without leaving the kitchen.
What works best is to microwave a sponge for 1 minute or run it through the dishwasher (including the dry cycle). The microwave kills 99.99999 percent of bacteria and the dishwasher, 99.9998 percent. I tried the microwave, but didn't like the smell. So now I wash sponges in the dishwasher every other day or so. I can cross that off my "spring cleaning" list (because I wash them all year 'round). On to the next item!