A tasty and healthy snack the whole family can enjoy making together. This simple appetizer is a good intro to grilling, because you don't have to worry about the potential contamination that comes with grilling meat. Future grillers can help season and measure while any child mature enough to attempt cooking (with supervision) has a very simple starter task. With only cut avocado and sliced bread to worry about, this recipe is close to foolproof.
- 1 loaf French bread, cut in 1 1/2-inch slices
- 2 avocados, split in half, pit removed, skin on
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- 1/2 Anaheim pepper, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- smoked sea salt and pepper
- Set your grill to medium heat (350°F).
- Lightly drizzle olive oil over bread slices. Lightly drizzle lime juice and olive oil over avocado halves.
- Place sliced bread and avocado halves on grate. Grill for approximately 5 to 10 minutes, or until the avocados have grill marks. Remove from grill.
- Make cross-hatching slices through grilled avocado halves; scoop out avocado flesh, cut flesh into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, zest orange and add juice from orange, olive oil, vinegar, and honey, whisk together. Add avocado pieces, Anaheim pepper, shallots, and garlic clove. Gently toss.
- Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Top each slice of bread with a generous serving of avocado mixture. Enjoy!
- Ages 3 to 5 Sprinkle pre-measured amounts of salt and pepper on avocado mixture Spoon mixture onto toast
- Ages 5 to 7 All tasks above Juice orange Measure olive oil, vinegar, honey Whisk wet ingredients
- Ages 8 to 12 All tasks above Zest orange Slice bread Chop avocado, add pepper, shallots, and garlic, and toss mixture
- Ages 13+ All tasks above Chop shallot, pepper, and garlic Turn on grill, set temp, monitor Place bread and avocado on grill, monitor, remove and peel/slice when cool.
Recipe adapted from our Avocado Toast recipe.